Planning a donor recognition project? Great! Just keep in mind you’ll have to live with your new donor recognition system for many years. This means whichever system you decide on needs to be flexible to accommodate new donors and allow for growth. Here are 5 key strategies and donor recognition tips to help you through the process of building a successful donor recognition project:
- Be certain you KNOW ALL THE COST REQUIRED TO ADD NAMES to a donor wall. This includes new parts, typesetting, and printing. individual room plaques may be considerably more expensive when ordered later in smaller quantities.
- In addition to cost, KNOW HOW COMPLICATED CHANGING NAMES WILL BE. If it takes a week for a team of three to go through the system to update it, the donor wall may not be well conceived (this happens often).
- Make sure all the process’s and MATERIALS USED FOR UP-DATING ARE COMMON enough so that you can switch vendors if you have to or want to.
- PLAN FOR GROWTH. A wall should be able to grow for five years before it needs to be renovated to accommodate new donors. If you do a really good job raising funds, this may be sooner.
- LEAVE ROOM FOR THAT REALLY BIG DONOR THAT IS STILL YET TO COME.
Hopefully these donor recognition tips helped you strategize your project. If you plan your donor recognition strategy well enough ahead of time, you should be able to find a donor recognition wall or plaque that’s perfectly suited for your organization, donors and budget. Read more about why having a donor recognition policy in general is a good thing for your organization.
If you’re still unsure about what you need, or would like to speak with a design professional for free about your options, don’t hesitate to reach out to Donor Signs. We’ve been making custom donor walls, donor plaques, and interactive wall displays for over 30 years and have the experience it takes to walk you through the process.